Life – Our Special Earth
This is the continuation of the first part. I will now present some facts about how the environment was created for life to exist on Earth.
- Because of the presence of unusually large moon (a quarter of the size of Earth), life has been possible on Earth.
- Among various theories, Giant Impact Hypothesis is widely accepted. This hypothesis says that approximately 4.5 billion years ago, a Mars sized planet, named Theia, had an indirect collision on the newly formed Earth. This resulted in complete destruction of Theia and retention of most of the mass by Earth.
- Due to several such collisions, Earth gained significant angular momentum and mass. A lot of materials and gases were ejected and thus Earth got a thin atmosphere*. Formation of atmosphere helped in retaining liquid water due to atmospheric pressure. Gradually, the gravitational tug with moon resulted in slow rotation period of 24 hours**.
- After the collision of Theia, its iron core sunk into Earth which resulted in a dense heavy metallic core. This rapid motion of the iron core gave rise to a strong magnetic field (absent in Mars and Venus). This magnetic field protects us by deflecting the lethal solar wind*** and radiation to the outer space. Hence, in spite being in the habitable zone from The Sun, Mars and Venus couldn’t support life.
- The tiny amounts of charged particles that Earth absorbed, combined with the 23° tilt of earth on its axis, started an engine of seasonal progression, flow of currents, essential for life.
- Outer planets like Jupiter and Saturn stabilized the orbit of Earth, giving it almost a circular orbit.
- Plate tectonics helped formation of continents, creating complex chemistry, diversification of species, change in atmospheric composition making Earth a habitable planet.
So… after presenting all these facts, I am sure many of you will agree that every object in the universe have a purpose. Some of them are known to the astronomers and most of them are still hidden. Same as our lives. Sometimes we feel loved, happy, jubilant and sometimes we feel sad, depressed, worried by the sudden turn of events. But no matter what, life goes on just like our Earth continues to exist despite the existence of many deadly forces present in the universe.
So thinking everything exists due to the force of gravity and a few known physical laws, I would say it to be foolish. Even science tells that to every action there is an equal reaction. Hence how could such big, gigantic objects exist in the first place if there is no action. Observing our lives for a few moment, we can easily know that reaction comes as a result of action done by somebody. So not believing that God or a higher power exists and He not being responsible for the creation of this vast expanse because there is no visible or direct proof, is like negating the same physical laws which are discovered by scientists.
*The sister planet of Earth, Venus has a much thick atmosphere and the temperature on the surface is almost 500°C. If this collision had not occurred, we would have had an atmosphere similar to that of Venus.
**Previously Earth has a rotation period of 8 hours. That would have resulted in wind velocities of 500 miles per hour.
***Solar wind has charged protons which can break down molecules. Hence water molecules would break down into ions and not existed in liquid form as in Earth. Something similar happened in Mars.
Picture Courtesy – Google images, nasa.gov
Video – youtube.com
©2015 Amrit. All rights reserved